The Sioux Falls Catholic Diocese and St. Katharine Drexel Parish are committed to ensuring that our ministries and parish are safe places for everyone. All clergy, staff, and volunteers who have regular contact with children or vulnerable adults must meet Safe Environment requirements before they enter into ministry. Requirements are detailed below.
- A background check must be completed every 6 years (under "Optional Training" on the Safe Environment web page.)
- A questionnaire regarding sexual abuse must be completed once. By signing this form, the person acknowledges the receipt and understanding of the Sexual Misconduct Policy and Code of Ethical Conduct of the Diocese of Sioux Falls. Sexual Abuse questionnaire Sexual Misconduct Policy
- Annual training is required for those working with children. Training for those working with vulnerable adults is renewed every third year. Training is available online or in person.
To complete online training:
Read the directions below, then go to the Safe Environment web page.
- Please read over the instructions and important notes on the left side of the screen.
- If this is your first time taking a course on this site, complete the "Register for a New Account" section on the right side of the page, creating a user name and password for yourself.
- If you have taken online training on this site before, you will click on "Sign In" under the Existing Accounts section. If you have forgotten your user name or password, please click the appropriate links below the "Sign In" button. Please do not create a new account!
- For those working with children, click on the first box, "Awareness Curriculum for Parish Safe Environment." You will know you have successfully completed the training when you see a certificate. Please send the certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For those working with vulnerable adults, scroll down the page and click on the gray box "Protecting Vulnerable Adults." You will know you have successfully completed the training when you see a certificate. Please send the certificate to email@example.com.
- To assist you with any problems or questions you may have while on the Safe Environment website, there is a "Tech Support" tab in the upper left-hand corner of the sign-in page. Once you are logged in, there are tech support options in the left-hand column of the page, including a "Live Chat" link, and a "Click for Live Help" icon in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
7. To complete in-person training, please contact Tonia Honner, Administrative Assistant, at 275-6870 x200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our youth, those serving and those being served, are precious and must be protected.
Youth who work unsupervised with children must meet the following requirements:
- A questionnaire regarding sexual abuse must be completed by the youth and signed by the youth and his/her parent/guardian. The parent/guardian agrees to review the Sexual Misconduct Policy and Code of Ethical Conduct of the Diocese of Sioux Falls with the youth. Sexual Abuse questionnaire Sexual Misconduct Policy
2. Annual training is required for those working with children. Training for youth (called Circle of Grace) is done in person, either in class at Bishop O'Gorman Catholic Schools or in Religious Education classes at our parish.